MWRC Advance to Funding Program
The MWRC and the Southwest Mountain West CTSA Consortium offer mentored, early career investigators (i.e. COBRE- or INBRE-supported investigators) the opportunity to submit their R-type grant proposals for internal review by experts in clinical and translational research. The program provides insight into the grant review process and helps applicants improve the science and format of their proposals prior to submission to the funding agency.
The program provides the following resources:
1. Expert pre-review of scientific method, formatting and grantsmanship for proposals by mentored, early career investigators.
2. Attendance at mock study section required by applicants and mentor to increase impact of review and to increase understanding of study section process. MWRC investigators may participate by videoconference.
3. Ability to contact reviewers for further advice about proposal style, format, and substance.
1. Participants must be US citizens or permanent residents with a faculty appointment at an institution in the Mountain West Research Consortium. Individuals who are, or have been, a Principal Investigator on NIH research projects (R01), FIRST Awards (R29), sub-projects of program projects (P01), center grants (P50), or the equivalent are not eligible for this program.
2. Participants must have a mentored career development award (i.e. COBRE- or INBRE-supported investigators).
3. Participants must develop an “R type” application for the February 2012 deadline. Acceptable grant types include: R01, R03, R15 (AREA) or R21. The proposed research can be translational, clinical (including pre-clinical animal models, engineering, genomics, etc.), or basic biomedical science.
Time line for February 2011 submissions to NIH
1. Letter of intent including an NIH Biographical Sketch and Project Summary page of the PHS 398 form (including RELEVANCE, Organizational Name, etc.) describing the research project. Form and instructions are available at http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/phs398/phs398.html. Submit both forms electronically as pdf documents to: Ms. Andra McClung AnMcClung@salud.unm.edu by 12 December 2011
2. Invitations to submit the grant to the Advance to Funding program will be issued by 19 December 2011
3. Grants must be submitted electronically as pdf documents to: Ms. Andra McClung AnMcClung@salud.unm.edu by 28 December 2011.
4. Mock Study Section for the 5 February 2012 deadline (R01) scheduled for 20 January 2012. Mock Study Section for 25 February 2012 deadline (R15 AREA awards) scheduled for 9 February 2012.