The University of Idaho’s WWAMI Educational Program and the Idaho INBRE Program are offering 10-week fellowships for medical students interested in biomedical research. The program pays each awarded student to work full-time in an established faculty laboratory for the summer. In addition to doing guided research, students will attend professional development and scientific seminar presentations. Students will also prepare posters highlighting their work to be presented at the Idaho INBRE Summer Research Conference in Moscow.
Pay: $6000 for the summer ($15/hour for 400 hours)
Program Starting Date: Monday, May 22, 2017
Program Ending Date: Wednesday, August 2, 2017
Steps to complete your application:
- Identify a Mentor – a list of potential mentors can be found in the left column at uiinbre.wpengine.com/faculty-dev/fellows-mentor/
- Complete the application form
- Request 2 references. Direct your reference writers to complete their reference online at uiinbre.wpengine.com/reference/
- Submit your application in the ‘slots’ below.
The WWAMI/INBRE Fellowship program is competitive. The number of applications we receive will exceed the available Fellowships. In order to be considered for a Fellowship we must receive your completed application and letters of reference by the due date of January 31, 2017. We cannot consider incomplete packets.
Fellowship awards will be announced in March 2017.
Unique opportunity: Research at the Idaho Veterans Research and Education Foundation (IVREF) at the Boise VA
The IVREF, an Idaho INBRE network institution, is offering a unique opportunity for research in Summer 2017. To find out more, contact Dr. Amy Bryant.
- COBRE Summer Fellows: These competitive fellowships are awarded annually to up to four students who are interested in exploring careers in biomedical research or related healthcare fields.
How are students selected to be WWAMI / INBRE Fellows?
The INBRE Fellows are the best and brightest students in Idaho. The selection process is competitive and rigorous. Students submit an application packet that includes a few short essays, and 2 letters of recommendation.
Requirements for being a WWAMI/INBRE Fellow:
- Students must currently be enrolled in the University of Idaho WWAMI Educational Program,
Criteria for Fellows selection:
The following criteria are used when choosing WWAMI/INBRE Summer Fellows. These criteria are considered as a ‘whole’, and not necessarily in the order listed.
1. Interest in biomedical science and research
2. Reference letters
3. Obstacles you have overcome to obtain your education
*The 2017 WWAMI/INBRE Fellows program is contingent upon timely distribution of federal grant funds*