The Undergraduate Fellows application for summer 2021 is now available: https://idahoinbre.embark.com/apply/fellows2021
Completed applications are due by November 2, 2020.
This page is for undergraduate students attending an Idaho institution of higher education.
Students attending institutions in a Western IDeA Regional Network state – Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, New Mexico, Nevada or Wyoming – are welcome to apply for fellowships as part of the Western INBRE Visiting Fellow program.
Are you an undergraduate science major attending an Idaho institution of higher education who wants to do hands-on research? Will you be graduating (with a Bachelor’s degree) in December 2021 or later?
The Idaho INBRE Program is offering 10-week fellowships for students interested in biomedical research. The program pays each awarded student to work full-time in an established faculty laboratory for the summer. In addition to doing guided research, students will attend professional development and scientific seminar presentations and will prepare a poster highlighting their work to be presented at the Idaho INBRE Summer Research Conference in Moscow.
Pay: up to $6000 for the summer (paid as hourly wage over the working dates of the program)
Program Starting Date: May 17, 2021
Program Ending Date: Last day of INBRE Conference or one travel day thereafter, depending upon institution
INBRE Conference Dates: July 26 – 28, 2021
- Identify a Mentor – a list of potential mentors can be found in the left column at inbre.uidaho.edu/student-programs/fellows-mentor/. Talk with your chosen mentor before submitting your application and be sure they agree to mentor you if you are selected as a Fellow.
- Obtain a copy of your most recent college transcripts – unofficial copies are acceptable. Be sure to save the transcripts in an easily accessible PDF format.
- Identify 2 references and invite them to submit their references using the ‘Register References’ tab in the left-hand column of the online application form – references from science faculty/instructors are preferred. The register references tab is available as soon as you begin your application so invite your references early! References are due on November 2, 2020.
- Complete and submit the application form by the due date of November 2, 2020. A copy of the application is available HERE for preview only. All applications must be submitted using the online portal.
The Idaho INBRE Undergraduate Fellowship program is competitive. The number of applications we receive will exceed the available Fellowships. To be considered for a Fellowship we must receive your completed application including transcripts and letters of reference by the due date of November 2, 2020. We cannot consider incomplete packets.
Fellowship awards will be announced in December 2020.
How are students selected to be INBRE Undergraduate Fellows?
The INBRE Fellows are the best and brightest undergraduate students in Idaho. The selection process is competitive and rigorous. Students submit an application packet that includes a few short essays, their GPA, letters of recommendation and their college transcript(s).
Requirements for being a Fellow:
- Students must currently be enrolled at an Idaho institution.
- Students must be graduating with a Bachelor’s degree on or after December 2021. Students graduating in May or August 2021 will not be eligible for Fellowships in 2021.
Criteria for Fellows selection:
The following criteria are used by Idaho INBRE when choosing Undergraduate Summer Fellows. These criteria are considered as a ‘whole’, and not necessarily in the order listed.
1. Interest in biomedical science and research
2. Academic record, including science classes taken and GPA
4. Date of expected graduation
5. Current institution – with consideration given for the research opportunities available to you at that institution
6. Family educational background
7. State in which you graduated high school (preference is given to those graduating from an Idaho high school or high school in a Western INBRE state)
8. Obstacles you have overcome to obtain your education
*The program depends on COVID restrictions in May 2021*
*The Summer Fellows program is contingent upon the timely distribution of federal grant funds*