The RAIN Undergraduate Research Student Exchange in Idaho application for summer 2024 IS NOW CLOSED!
[Important Note: All positions for 2024 are subject to INBRE-5 being successfully funded.]
Completed applications were due on November 1, 2023.
The Regional Alliance of INBRE Networks (RAIN) was formed to support regional collaborations focused on common scientific themes. Opportunities exist for undergraduate students from the region to participate in transformative research experiences in the RAIN states. Individual INBRE Programs within RAIN host expertise-specific student programs, such as lab fellowships, workshops, and summer camps.
Students from RAIN states (Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, New Mexico, Nevada, and Wyoming) interested in visiting and working in Idaho may apply for a 2024 RAIN Undergraduate Research Student Exchange in Idaho at the University of Idaho, Idaho State University, Boise State University, or the Idaho Veterans Research and Education Foundation at the Boise VA Medical Center.
The Idaho INBRE Program is offering paid research awards for students interested in biomedical research. The Idaho INBRE RAIN Undergraduate Research Student Exchange is a competitive monetary award for students (INBRE RAIN Fellows) to conduct mentored research. The program pays each awarded INBRE RAIN Fellow to work full-time in an established faculty laboratory for 10 weeks during the summer. In addition to conducting guided research, INBRE RAIN Fellows will attend professional development and scientific seminar presentations and will prepare a poster highlighting their work to be presented at the Idaho INBRE Research Conference in Moscow.
Details of the program:
Program Starting Date: May 20, 2024
Program Ending Date: Last day of INBRE Conference or one travel day thereafter, depending upon institution
INBRE Conference Dates: July 29-31, 2024
Pay: up to $7200 for the summer (paid as hourly wage over the working dates of the program)
How To Apply:
- Identify a Mentor – a list of potential mentors can be found in the left column at inbre.uidaho.edu/student-programs/fellows-mentor/.
- Contact Mentor – Talk with your chosen mentor before submitting your application and be sure they agree to mentor you if you are selected as a Fellow. If you are unfamiliar with the faculty on the campus you’re applying to, reach out to your INBRE campus lead for assistance. Click here for INBRE Campus Lead contact information.
- Complete application
- Obtain/Submit a copy of your most recent college transcripts – unofficial copies are acceptable. Be sure to save the transcripts in an easily accessible PDF format.
- Identify 1 reference and invite them to submit their reference using the ‘Register References’ tab in the left-hand column of the online application form – references from science faculty/instructors are preferred. The Register References tab is available as soon as you begin your application so invite your references early! References are due on November 1, 2023.
- Complete and Submit the Application form by the due date of November 1, 2023.
For questions, contact the INBRE office at email@example.com or 208-885-5373.
The RAIN Undergraduate Research Student Exchange is competitive. The number of applications we receive will exceed the available awards. To be considered for a RAIN Undergraduate Research Student Exchange award we must receive your completed application including transcripts and letters of reference by the due date of November 1, 2023. We cannot consider incomplete packets.
Fellowship awards will be announced in December 2023.
How are students selected to be INBRE RAIN Fellows?
The INBRE Fellows are the best and brightest undergraduate students in the RAIN Region. The selection process is competitive and rigorous. Students submit an application form that includes a few short essays, one reference, and their college transcript(s).
Requirements for being a Fellow: 1) Students must currently be enrolled at an institution in a RAIN state (Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Wyoming). 2) Students must be graduating on or after December 2024. Students graduating in May or August 2023 are not eligible for Fellowships in 2024.
Criteria for Fellows selection
The following criteria are used by Idaho INBRE when choosing RAIN Visiting Fellows. These criteria are considered as a ‘whole’, and not necessarily in the order listed.
- Interest in biomedical science and research
- Academic record, including science classes taken, and GPA
- Reference letters
- Date of expected graduation
- Current institution – with consideration given for the research opportunities available to you at that institution
- Family educational background
- State in which you graduated high school (preference is given for those who graduated high school in the Western INBRE region)
- Obstacles you have overcome to obtain your education
***Idaho INBRE RAIN Fellows will be offered a package that includes summer pay and housing. Travel for 1 round-trip to/from Idaho is available from your HOME state. INBRE RAIN Fellows should contact their HOME state INBRE office for details.