Get Reviewed! MWRC Advance to Funding Program
Mountain West Research Consortium (MWRC)
Advance to Funding Program
The MWRC and the Southwest Mountain West CTSA Consortium offer COBRE- or INBRE-supported investigators an external review of their R-type grant proposals by research experts. These reviews provide insight into the grant review process and help applicants improve their science, writing, and proposal format to make them more competitive prior to submission to the funding agency.
The program provides the following resources:
- Expert pre-review of scientific method, formatting and grantsmanship.
- Attend a mock study section (in person or by videoconference) during which the grant will be discussed to increase impact of review and to increase understanding of study section process.
- Ability to contact reviewers for further advice about proposal style, format, and substance.
- Participants must be US citizens or permanent residents with a faculty appointment at an INBRE-funded institution in a Mountain West Research Consortium state.
- Participants must be COBRE- or INBRE-supported investigators.
- Individuals who are, or have been, a Principal Investigator on NIH research projects (R01), FIRST Awards (R29), sub-projects of program projects (P01), center grants (P50), or the equivalent are not eligible for this program.
- Participants must develop an “R type” application for the June 2012 deadline. Acceptable grant types include: R01, R03, R15 (AREA) or R21. The proposed research can be translational, clinical (including pre-clinical animal models, engineering, genomics, etc.), or basic biomedical science.
Time line for June 2012 submissions to NIH:
- Due April 2, 2012: Submit a Letter of intent, an NIH Biographical Sketch, and the Project Summary page of the PHS 398 form (including RELEVANCE, Organizational Name, etc.) describing the research project. Form and instructions are available at http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/phs398/phs398.html. Submit both forms electronically as pdf documents to: Ms. Andra McClung AnMcClung@salud.unm.edu . This information is required in order to recruit reviewers.
- Due April 16, 2012: The full proposal submitted electronically as pdf documents to: Ms. Andra McClung AnMcClung@salud.unm.edu.
- May 18, 2012: Mock Study Sections for R01 (5 June 2012 deadline), R21 (16 June 2012 deadline), and R15 AREA awards (25 June 2012).