Post-doc in Infectious Diseases Research
Post-Doctoral Position in Infectious Diseases Research
Veterans Affairs Medical Center
The Idaho Veterans Research & Education Foundation, a non-profit entity affiliated with the Boise VA Medical Center, is recruiting a full-time Basic Science Research Investigator in Infectious Disease Pathogenesis at the Post-doctoral level. S/he will investigate the cellular and molecular mechanisms of pathogenesis of post-partum infections.
The Incumbent will be one of several junior investigators participating in a multi-disciplinary Collaborative Biomedical Research Center of Excellence in Emerging/Reemerging Infectious Diseases at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Boise, Idaho. The long-term thematic objective of this Center of Excellence is to discover, develop and advance novel new approaches to prevention, diagnosis and treatment of severe life-threatening infections plaguing people of all ages worldwide. The Center of Excellence will provide junior investigators with exceptional mentoring and up to 5 years of salary and research project support with the goal of their achieving independent research funding.
The Investigator will have dedicated laboratory and office space in our newly constructed, 18,000 sq ft state-of-the-art basic science research laboratory which also houses several high-tech core facilities. The Boise VAMC also maintains an AAALAC-accredited research facility.
The successful candidate will:
· Be part of an innovative and cutting-edge infectious diseases research group
· Be eligible to seek admission to the VA’s intramural research program
· Be eligible to apply for Affiliate Faculty status in biomedical sciences at the level of Assistant or Associate Professor at our affiliated universities.
· Mentor undergraduate and graduate students in basic science research.
· Have the opportunity to teach at affiliated universities.
At a minimum, the successful candidate will have:
· A doctoral degree in microbiology, immunology, molecular/cell biology, genetics or closely related field
· 2-4 yrs of postdoctoral experience in pathogenesis research
· Experience with experimental models of human infections
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· A strong publication record
The preferred candidate will have:
· Demonstrated expertise and ongoing interest in mechanisms of pathogenesis of infectious diseases caused by Gram positive organisms
· Current or recently completed mentored or independent funding from a national agency
Salary: The incumbent will be an employee of the Idaho Veterans Research & Education Foundation (IVREF). Up to 5 years of salary support will be provided by the Center of Excellence in Emerging/Reemerging Infectious Diseases. Benefits will be negotiated.
Equal Opportunity Employer: IVREF is committed to achieving academic and research excellence through cultural diversity and is an EEO institution. We encourage applications from men and women of all ethnicities and religions, and members of other underrepresented groups.
Workplace Safety: To ensure the safety and well-being of all employees of VAMC and IVREF as well as patients and visitors of the VAMC, all candidates for positions at IVREF must successfully complete a Federal criminal background check. Additionally, it is the policy of IVREF to maintain a drug-free workplace. The unlawful possession or use of alcohol or controlled substances on the VA campus is strictly prohibited.
Interested Applicants: Please submit an application letter, curriculum vitae, a summary of completed and ongoing research awards, future research plans, and no more than three relevant publications. In addition, provide current contact information (name, address, email address, phone number) for three professional references. Please send application material electronically as a single PDF file to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do NOT have reference letters sent at this time.
Review of applications will begin on December 1, 2013 and continue until finalists are selected. Applications received after that point may be considered if the position is not filled from the finalist pool.